18 September, 2014

Into the Wake of Wonder

Into the Wake of Wonder

It was a fragment I had thought; to keep the candle burning.
Like an afterthought to a whisper withered in a winter wind.
What was a drop of rain, was simply heralding the tsunami;
Sink or swim willed no longer unto choice, but to perchance.
Oh harbinger of all or nothing, won't you lend me your smile.
Forgive me my petrification, I wish to wander to my wonder,
But to wander toward the deep would be to slip and fall.
I wasn't built on easy footing, but needs to feel I know my fill.
A mockery of innocence belied by the very fabric of cognition.
Here there be, what?  Wraiths or monsters?  If only it were so.
I had all but birthed a headless hydra to wreak havoc here.
Why not craft him fresh teeth?  The better to swallow me whole.
Why such easy betrayal by my nature, I know the difference.
I grow wearily unnerved, bailing back the flood with but a thimble.
My skeletons and corpses sworn not to mingle, only mangle,
Such skillful precision in the face of denouncing my own name.
Intolerable attempts at speculation; met only with a slight of hand.
Its your slight of tongue, even silent bares me treasures, dooming.
It is as it was meant for me; I fear further splinters of my essence.
It should be my mortal sin, if to spare them from the likes of this.
And would do well in not squandering on her; kindnesses.
In wearing away the ghosts you'll unearth her creature guilts.
Look not  upon medusa's serpents' clings to shallowed learning.
T'would be for wretched, brittle hearts' salvation, were I to gild.
And of the unsuspected whimpers, I beg deafening silences.
A thousand fickle passions, and a thousand shards of glass.
Decry my pardon, and lead me not toward your salvations,
Should be the death of me, if not the straw to break my back.

-phoenix
9.11.2014

No comments: